Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Exercise 7 Blog about technology : Library life in Australia since 1997

The introduction of the internet to my workplace (public libraries) in 1997 has created new challenges and responsibilities; challenges to learn and comprehend the new technology and responsibilities to clearly and confidently convey that information to a public with varying degrees of knowledge and skills in this area.

While at first apprehensive and perhaps intimidated by the new technology, over the years I have gradually gained more knowledge and confidence in using the internet. I still feel though I am a fair way behind some of my colleagues in the library world, more so because I have never had a computer to practise on at home. Now I realise there is even more technology involved with the internet than I could ever have imagined and a new language with words such as 'blogging' and 'podcasts'.

The next challenge for me then is to gain more knowlege which I feel will only come through hands on training and constant practise so that I can at the very least be more technologically savvy than my 5 year old niece!

No comments: